Re: Is hardware accelerated 3D necessary?

On 5/4/09, Johannes <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:

Hi!

>> Hardware accelerated 3D on Linux appears to be a single-user affair at
>> the moment. Only one logged-in user at a time can use 3D acceleration
>> (see for example discussions like the one on the DRI-Users mailing
>> list: http://marc.info/?t=119413177000001&r=1&w=2).
>
> Well, I think for fast-user-switching this can certainly be fixed
> somehow in X11 because there is only one "real" user active.

I'm just afraid that this might slow down the adoption of Gnome 3.0. Witness
the problems with Vista. "Forcing" 3D on the users was even a problem
for the Mac (whose hardware was under Apple's direct control) in my own
experience. The Mac users in the place where I used to work generally
turned off the fancy desktop effects because they slowed things down.

IMHO we should wait for the Xorg guys to fix the multi-user 3D problem
before making a 3D desktop the standard.

Cheers.