Re: Is hardware accelerated 3D necessary?

On 5/4/09, Rui <tiagomatos gmail com> wrote:

> 2009/5/4 foss[ilized] <fosslistmail googlemail com>:
>> Hardware accelerated 3D on Linux appears to be a single-user affair at
>> the moment. Only one logged-in user at a time can use 3D acceleration
>> (see for example discussions like the one on the DRI-Users mailing
>> list: http://marc.info/?t=119413177000001&r=1&w=2).
>
> The new kernel/X/DRI2/DRM/Mesa architecture "fixes" all this[1]. Also,
> the nvidia proprietary driver stack doesn't have that problem.

"Will" fix? I'm using the latest released version of X/Mesa and I still have the
problem. Except for a brief trial with with some pre-GeForce card, I haven't
run nvidia cards since I started using GNU/Linux/BSD, so I don't know the
situation with the nvidia binary-only drivers.

> [1] http://keithp.com/blogs/Sharpening_the_Intel_Driver_Focus/
> btw, this new architecture will benefit not only intel, but also at
> least, the radeon and nouveau drivers.

Well, that's something to look forward to. I hope they fix the problem
before all the major desktops start the great move to 3D. Or else I might
find myself running FVWM ;-)

Cheers