Re: Breadcrumbs in the panel

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Sander Dijkhuis <sander dijkhuis gmail com> wrote:
There's a Summer of Code project that will (among other things) let
GNOME Shell work with tabs within windows, so that would allow for extending
the breadcrumb trail to "Activities > workspace > window > tab".

I believe that it would be more useful if this was possible to do with windows from the same class. So that it would be possible to perform tab-like navigation for applications that don't have tab management themselves.

something like..

Activities: workspace > window class > document, tab-name or window title

This way activity switching could work at multiple levels

Also notice that I've put "Activities: " instead of "Activities > "

I believe that if it is really intended to give a clear hierarchy concept then "Activities" is not a good name for the overlay-mode launcher. You don't have multiple workspaces inside of the activities, it's more like the opposite. If activity does actually mean the ultimate work you are doing in the program/document, then in my opinion the whole breadcrumb should be the location of the activity.

Also.. I believe that making the "Activities" button be part of the breadcrumb will be confusing for new users when in a tutorial you refer to paths like: "Activities -> Graphics -> GIMP" when you are talking about the applications menu hierarchy. (unless we want to make the application menu to be same as the workspace application positioning).

--
Fernando