Subtracting workspaces

Hi all,

Ever since I first got the gnome-shell running, I have noticed that getting rid of empty workspaces along the periphery feels very mouse-intensive as I jump from workspace to workspace closing them.  This is especially the case since users have to click the Minus-sign in a particular order, and it appears to be a difficult motor pattern for my hands to adapt (maybe it's just me though…).  It doesn't help that adding spaces looks so pretty that I just keep adding more than I really need, and then have to close a bunch.

Google Chrome addressed the problem that closing tabs made the "x's" on other tabs into moving targets by making it so the close buttons remained stationary until a user's mouse moved away from the tab zone.  Could gnome-shell incorporate some similar convenience?

One way would be to include a minus-sign nearby to the plus sign in the corner.

See: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3606/3496416276_2149de9687_o.png

Maybe the minus part could be faded out if no windows were available for "subtracting."  Maybe the plus/minus combo could be in addition to the current minus sign that appears over new workspaces, or maybe the in-workspace minus sign would only appear if a user's mouse was inside the workspace zone?  Anyway, this is just one idea for keeping people's mouse hands from becoming too tired.

I don't know if anyone else finds this distracting, much less if it qualifies as a "bug" worth filing.  Does anyone else get tired?

Regards,

Brian