Re: xscrnsaver build error on Ubuntu 9.04

On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 15:41 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:
> I built gnome shell successfully a few weeks ago, but my attempt at
> updating today failed. I tried installing libxcb-screensaver0-dev but
> this didn't help. The error message is below:
>
> checking for MUTTER_PLUGIN... configure: error: Package requirements
> (gtk+-2.0 dbus-glib-1 metacity-plugins gjs-gi-1.0 xscrnsaver
> libgnome-menu  gconf-2.0 gdk-x11-2.0 clutter-x11-0.9 clutter-glx-0.9)
> were not met:
>
> No package 'xscrnsaver' found
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables MUTTER_PLUGIN_CFLAGS
> and MUTTER_PLUGIN_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>
> make: *** [config.status] Error 1

The relevant package is libxss-dev.

In general, if you hit build problems that look like missing
dependencies, you should rerun gnome-shell-build-setup.sh. You can
either do that as described on the wiki for the initial run, or you can
find the script in:

 ~/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/tools/build/

and run it from there. (Do a 'jhbuild updateone gnome-shell' first to
make sure that you have the latest version with any updates.)

- Owen