Re: Task list in Gnome Shell - mockup

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Jay Bee <jaybee444 gmail com> wrote:
> here is my attempt at eliminating the bottom task list.
> It could be combined with the "Breadcrumbs" mockup already mentioned here.
>
> The mockup is located here:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/DesignerPlayground/TaskListDropDown

Nice ideas! I especially like the (!) icon for windows requesting
attention and the way tab titles are shown inside the menu.

Opening the menu on mouse hover might be irritating when you want to
reach something near the panel (like a window's title bar) and
accidentally move the cursor to the window list button. I think a
widget like the drop-down box in GTK+ would work well.

Also I'm not sure about automatically re-ordering the windows each
time the stacking on the desktop changes. In the GNOME 2 panel I like
how you can manually change the order. In your design, this could work
the same way as re-ordering items in the Windows Start menu.

I'm implementing some of these ideas to play with the
breadcrumbs-with-menus thing. Even if that doesn't work out, the
window menu code could be used to experiment with your ideas.

For switching workspaces, a menu like this can be used too. Instead of
displaying a list of workspace names, it might be easier to find the
right workspace when the layout from the Activities overlay is
duplicated.