Re: A few toughts

On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 22:11 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Maciej Piechotka <uzytkownik2 gmail com> wrote:
> > I started using gnome-shell and I noticed several things:
> >
> > 1. There should be bookmarks in Places IMHO. Is it a missing feature and
> > I should fill a bug or is is deliberate choice?
>
> To be honest we aren't totally sure where we are going with the places
> section - or the recent docs either.  We have had some ideas about
> using this area to integrate more nautilus desktop folder type
> functionality.  See the nautilus thread on this list.

I filled a bug. Last time I checked it had patch ;)

> > 2. When I create new workspace and open new window (either by
> > right-click on application or opening new application) it is opened on
> > old workspace. Is it wanted behaviour? Since presumably user created new
> > workspace for this application.
>
> Makes sense I guess.  What do other people think?  I'm personally not
> a heavy workspace user anymore.

I discovered that I can drag'n'drop applications to open new workspace -
which is handy to open many applications. But still the behaviour is
unintuitive IMHO.

> > 5. It seems that it's a bit harder if I have several windows opened of
> > the same application (like using IRC in empathy) on the same desktop. I
> > understend that there will be integration with empathy so most of the
> > problem will not be applicable but I find it difficult when I had:
> > - Opened documentation of tikz package (PDF in Evince)
> > - Opened set of exercises for next week (PDF in Evince - autogenerated
> > name)
> > - My LaTeX document
> > - My solutions (yes - PDF in Evince ;) )
> > Sometimes I needed to check only one thing (final form etc.) and the
> > animation of minimizing was rather distracting. Also it was rather hard
> > to find document I wanted (both in activities sidebar as on the
> > minimized workspace).
> >

> The window previews in alt tab may help a bit here.  We have also
> considered adding an alt+` or something that will allow you to change
> windows within an app.

Hmm. The problem is that they look the same - and they suppose to look
the same. I mean that small white piece of screen with even smaller
black letters and equations does not differ much different then small
white piece of screen with...

At least on 15" it seems to be unreadable (Also Alt+Tab).

After checking something: After clicking on recent documents it opens it
or change window to it if opened (as when application 'opens' file twice
it open it once - is it in HIG?). Possibly if document is opened it
should be on top and highlighted - in similar fashion as applications.

> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Jon

Thanks for the shell

Regards