Re: Nautilus vs gnome-shell and the future

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 16:08 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> For instance, gnome-shell focuses a lot on using search to find files
> and other things of interest. Nautilus also does search, but only
> for files. The g-s search is more integrated in the desktop and gives
> multiple types of results, but the nautilus search allows a more
> detailed view of the results (multiple view types, previews, etc) and
> also allows more interesting operations on the results (file ops,
> nautilus extensions like sendto, etc). Maybe we could integrate these
> better, or at least make them more similar?

I have been thinking about this thread since it started. I often think
that I would like to see a separate overview just for file browsing. I
am pretty sure this goes against the design idea of shell, that seems to
to try to unite apps and files, but I think using the full screen to
find/manage files can be a good thing (although it makes the ability to
drag somewhat moot).

I think files and places are pretty much second class citizens in the
current overview, but that might change.

See you,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns gnome org>
GNOME Project