Re: able to customize bottom panel?

Desktop is managed by nautilus, an so is wallpaper. Multiple wallpaper for workspaces is ever poping request, but it looks like nobody from developers is interested (you know, obligate: code it yourself response)

Disappearance of bottom panel is one of the goals for gnome-shell.

I would rather focus on basic concept, which is ill IMHO. That mockups are too messy, just look at this http://live.gnome.org/Boston2008/GUIHackfest/WindowManagementAndMore?action="">

It's abuse of scrollbar, whenever you want do something quickly (launch application, document,..), don't use scrollbar, it's usability killer!