Re: Metacity upgrade method - am I an idgit?

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 04:29:06PM -0000, Jez Tucker wrote:

> By manual placement I'm referrring to that method of X placing windows
> whereby it works like this:
>
> 1) startx
> 2) X Starts, panel is given as a transparent 'grid'.  Click to place panel
> where you want.
> 3) Panel is displayed.
> 4) Desktop is given as separate grid (in own window as such). Click to place
> and display desktop.
> 5) etc.
>
> I guess it's something you'd have to try to see it.  Reminds me of the 486
> era.  Perhaps it's bypassing gnome...?

That sounds like you end up with twm running. Note, you will need
/usr/local/bin in your path, /usr/local/lib in LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
etc. if you're going to use metacity there. One reason RPMs are easier.

> Any ideas reg. the alt modifier - could this be related to the way I'm doing
> the upgrade?

Well, you're running twm instead of metacity that would explain it. ;-)

Havoc