RE: Metacity upgrade method - am I an idgit?

Hey havoc,

By manual placement I'm referrring to that method of X placing windows
whereby it works like this:

1) startx
2) X Starts, panel is given as a transparent 'grid'.  Click to place panel
where you want.
3) Panel is displayed.
4) Desktop is given as separate grid (in own window as such). Click to place
and display desktop.
5) etc.

I guess it's something you'd have to try to see it.  Reminds me of the 486
era.  Perhaps it's bypassing gnome...?

I shall try your method.

Any ideas reg. the alt modifier - could this be related to the way I'm doing
the upgrade?

Jez