Re: GnomePrintCupsPlugin looks for ppd with remote cups ser

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 21:26 -0600, Jay Roplekar wrote:
> I have searched this list and googled this and have not found anything in
> terms of a solution. I hope this is the right place to ask this question.
>
> As soon as start Gnumeric from CLI I see  the following error
> (gnumeric:25130): GnomePrintCupsPlugin-WARNING **: The ppd file for the CUPS
> printer psc500 could not be loaded.
>
> And when I click to print within gnumeric it freezes.
>
> My setup: remote cups server in my lan which has a psc500 and I can print
> successfully using lpr from CLI,  I use libgnomeprint-2.6.2-1mdk & friends. I
> do not run cupsd locally.
>
> Curiosity question: Why is cups plugin looking for a ppd file locally for a
> printer not attached locally?

It isn't looking for one locally. It is trying to retrieve the ppd file
from the remote machine via cups. The ppd file provides information on
the printer features.

There seems to be some communication problems within libcups (which
could be the result of a misconfiguration). So when gnumeric freezes it
is really just waiting for libcups which will respond after its timeout
(about 10 min.)

Andreas

>  Is this result of config or expected behavior?
>
> Is there a solution  to this problem?

Fix your cups installation.

Andreas
--