GnomePrintCupsPlugin looks for ppd with remote cups ser

I have searched this list and googled this and have not found anything in
terms of a solution. I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

As soon as start Gnumeric from CLI I see  the following error
(gnumeric:25130): GnomePrintCupsPlugin-WARNING **: The ppd file for the CUPS
printer psc500 could not be loaded.

And when I click to print within gnumeric it freezes.

My setup: remote cups server in my lan which has a psc500 and I can print
successfully using lpr from CLI,  I use libgnomeprint-2.6.2-1mdk & friends. I
do not run cupsd locally.

Curiosity question: Why is cups plugin looking for a ppd file locally for a
printer not attached locally? Is this result of config or expected behavior?

Is there a solution  to this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Jay