Re: [Gnome-print] Installing non standard fonts

On 13 Jun 2001 20:08:08 +0200, Pere Pujal Carabantes wrote:

> > Lauris says that @yes, at least for sodipodi".
> Well I will try to intall and test in gnumeric

Don't work, unless you have bleeding-edge gnome-print.
Also, in case of screen fonts, many more things are involved.
Gnome-print fonts are involved only with printing (and print
preview) - for editing usually plain X ones are used, with
not-always-the-best mapping algorithm. Actually often it is
not possible to find exact 1-1 mapping between screen and
printer fonts.

> > As I can see euro-sign is in free URW fonts from ghostscript distribution (if you mean sign with unicode value U+20ac).
> Yes I mean that, but ...
>  Now I have download the gnu-gs-fonts-standard-6.0 and the only font that has the
> euro is the Standard Symbols one, but even if I can install
> automatically whith gnome-font-install I am unable to get the euro on
> the screen or the printer (via gnumeric->gnome-print)
>
> > Will I right, that iso8859-15 == iso8859-1 + Euro-sign ?
> iso 8859-15 =iso8859-1+Euro+Zcaron+zcaron+... -currency- ...

Well, if you cannot get Euro on screen with gnumeric, there is little
hope in getting it printed. I do not know, which version of gnumeric you
use, but it is possible, that it only supports iso-8859-1. If you are
happy, you certainly have to tell it to use iso-8859-15, in which case
it should print Euro. I am not competent in gnumeric, so maybe you
should also drop a note to gnumeric mailing list.
Gnome-print input is unicode, so it relies on application to supply
it with correct character values - and can output near everything
specified correctly. But most applications rely on X (well, they simply
have to) and are so bound to single encoding system - and if that does
not have euro, you have no hope.

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski