Re: .jp Localization of apps/libraries. (was "Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [ynakai redhat com: Re: Gnumeric bug 15607]")

> But currently, we aren't there yet, and won't be there for the
> GNOME-1.4 timescale. We need to make sure that Gnumeric (etc.) does
> print in Japanese, and since we don't have the complete tools for
> printing in Unicode, that means adding EUC-JP support.

Yukihiro's patch did not add any printing facilities, it just fixed
the display output in a way that was pretty hard to understand.  No
ChangeLogs, no description of the changes.

That makes our life as maintainers very hard.  If Yukihiro wants to
keep a patch to do those things in his local copy, that is fine with
me, but it wont go into Gnumeric, as we are trying to move gnumeric
and gnome-print into supporting utf-8.

I have a bit of experience from the patches from some of the hackers
in the Japan office of Red Hat: they sent a set of patches to Radek
for GtkHTML that were completely broken, again, no ChangeLogs, and
barely any testing was done on them.  When we decided to revert them,
the contributor was very upset.

One of Yukihiro's previous mails said he was not working on this
during his work hours, and hence had no time to submit a ChangeLog
entry.  This is not the kind of code I would like to maintain, and
certainly the lack of testing is disturbing.

I hope Lauris will keep working on improving our utf-8 support, and
help migrate Gnumeric together with Jody to a bring utf-8 world
(should not be too hard), and this is of course, fully independent of
the GNOME 1.4 release schedule.

best wishes,
Miguel.