Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print (fwd)

> What you are proposing with client side rendering is quite a lot like
> what windows does and I must say that having lived through the
> maddening problems, "that way be madness". The problems are so severe
> that even MS has admitted that there are enough problems that they
> invented metafile spooling. Have you considered a similar solution
> that will allow you all the flexibility that you need while keeping
> the rendering down in the print subsystems?

We have had metafiles in GnomePrint for a long time.

Metafiles are indeed the way component printing works (Embedded
components inside other documents).

Metafile printing is better than sending arbitrary postscript because:

	1. You can reliably know how much paper it will use.
	2. It will not require any printer cooperation to know how
	   many pages were printed.
	3. There is no code, no loops, no ifs, no nothing.

So, yes, we can send metafiles.

Miguel.