Re: [gpm] Set screen backlight through dbus

Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> writes:

On 4 December 2014 at 09:39, Hong Xu <hong topbug net> wrote:
Well, it's about lightum[1], which is a automatic light sensor daemon
adjusting screen brightness.
In that case, you really want to integrate it with
gnome-settings-daemon directly, or you and it will be fighting about
who gets to control the backlight. I'd be happy to help point you in
the right direction if this is a direction you'd like to take.
Yes, please. I'd like to hear.

Right, sorry for the huge delay in replying to this email, I'm trying
to get everything finished before Christmas. I've cc'd in Owen a
colleague at Red Hat who's interested in doing something about this
stuff too.

What I think needs to happen is to expose the ambient light sensor in
the power plugin in gnome-settings-daemon, and to have some really
basic UI in gnome-control-center to enable it. I've never really
pushed this hard as I've never had hardware with this capability. It
just so happens I'm the guy behind the ColorHug display calibration
hardware, and that you can use a ColorHug (or in my case, defective
ColorHugs that failed QA...) as an ambient light sensor for laptops
that do not have the ability already.

I'm sure we'll continue to discuss this in 2015, but until then, have
a great Christmas. Thanks,

Sure -- Let's get in touch in the new year.

Hong