Re: [gpm] Waiting for patch review for 9 months

On 27 November 2010 04:53, Alex Launi <alex launi gmail com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by string surgery. Also (sorry translators), but
> I'd rather have a nicer reading string than our translators sitting around
> getting fat from us avoiding string changes.

No, sorry, I was unclear. What translators hate is things like this:

_("batttery is %s") ? ("charging") : _("discharging")

where we join strings together according to English rules. In French
we might want to say:

"Charge to battery" and "Discharging battery" but sticking strings
together like we've done above doesn't let the translators do nice
translations. Translators would much rather have:

_("battery is charging")

*and*

_("battery is discharging")

This means they do twice the work, but can translate effectively. This
is even more true when it comes to plurals.

> Oh god not the UPS!

Heh :-)

Got a new patch for me to review?