Re: [gpm] [ibm-acpi-devel] T41 Brightness with 2.6.33-rc3-git2

On 11/01/10 21:43, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, Robert de Rooy wrote:
As to the brightness issue, I still do not get any output when I press
the brightness buttons in /dev/input/event10, while I do get output on
things like Fn-Space. I enabled the thinkpad_acpi debug options, but
that does not seem to make any difference either.
Brightness changes get exposed through backlight interface events, not
through input devices.  Since this is a somewhat new feature of the
backlight interface, userspace seems not to have caught up to it yet.

On my T60 where the acpi video driver handles the backlight I do get OSD
without needing tpb, but on the T41 where it is handled by
thinkpad_acpi, I do not. thinkpad_acpi does report the correct status in
Well, I don't know what events the acpi video driver is leaking that
userspace is keying to.

sysfs, so this is just a reporting issue, but I thought this was
supposed to be fixed with the latest update to thinkpad_acpi?
It is, the *proper* events for a non-ACPI backlight interface are all there,
you can see them using any C program that does poll() or select() in the
actual_brightness sysfs attribute, or if you use udevadm to see the uevents
the kernel is issuing.

Which doesn't mean userspace is listening to them, yet.

Lets try to add the gnome-power-manager developers to the discussion.

Guys, basically the thinkpad_acpi driver has had some updates in 2.6.33-rc3 which include improved support for backlight on older thinkpads.

Now on my old ThinkPad T41 pressing the buttons changes backlight, and the backlight sysfs entries change, but no OSD from gnome-power-manager On my newer ThinkPad T60 where backlight is handled by the acpi video driver, I do get OSD from gnome-power-manager. So what is gnome-power-manager using to keep track of backlight changes?