Re: [gpm] How to manually turn off the screen?

 On 8/29/2010 3:28 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
On 20 August 2010 23:40, Kevin Ross<kevin familyross net>  wrote:
So my question is, what is the proper way to programatically turn off the
screen?
At the moment, there isn't one. Could I ask what use case you've got
for forcing the screen off? Thanks.

Richard.

Certainly. I'm using my computer as a HTPC, running MythTV. I'm running LIRC to use my remote control. When I push the power button on the remote, I want the monitor to turn off. So in my LIRC configuration, I have the power button execute the "xset force dpms off" command.

This works fine, by the way, if I just don't run gnome-power-manager in my gnome session, so that's what I'm doing.

Actually, the ideal setup would be to suspend the computer when I hit the remote's power button, and not just the monitor. The problem is I can't wake the computer back up with just the remote.

Thanks!
-- Kevin