[gpm] How to manually turn off the screen?

 Hello,

I used to be able to turn off the screen with "xset dpms force off". But now that doesn't work, the screen only stays off for a few seconds.

The Debian BTS has an open ticket on this (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=552506), and they say we shouldn't use xset, because it will conflict with GPM. They say send a dbus message to GPM to turn off the screen. So some Googling gives me this command:

dbus-send --session --dest=org.gnome.PowerManager --type=method_call /org/gnome/PowerManager org.gnome.PowerManager.setDpmsMode string:off

However, I get an error that setDpmsMode is an unknown method.

So my question is, what is the proper way to programatically turn off the screen?

Thanks!
-- Kevin