Re: [gpm] How to manually turn off the screen?

Well, I'm not the original poster, but I have an use case.

If you are using a laptop you usually have to consume the least amount of power possible, and the screensaver usually is configured to blank the screen and to power it off. So far so good. When I leave the laptop alone and I'm sure that I won't come back soon, why should it waste "x" mins of power by having the screen on instead of switching it off immediately? I usually lock the screen, but I haven't tested if it's a good way to shorten the time to switching it off.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 12:28, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
On 20 August 2010 23:40, Kevin Ross <kevin familyross net> wrote:
> So my question is, what is the proper way to programatically turn off the
> screen?

At the moment, there isn't one. Could I ask what use case you've got
for forcing the screen off? Thanks.