Re: [gpm] translatable strings with unclear meaning

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> On 4 August 2010 18:36, Lucian Adrian Grijincu
> <lucian grijincu gmail com> wrote:
>> 1. Could you explain what the %s's mean? Are both used to tell the
>> time? Is one of them the name of a device?
>> "%s %s remaining"
>
> Where is that string? they should all have translator comments, but
> it's likely a couple slipped through the net. I would say from memory,
> that's probably "Laptop battery 35 minutes remaining".

#. TRANSLATORS: the device is discharging, and we have a time remaining
#: ../src/gpm-upower.c:281
#, c-format
msgid "%s %s remaining"

Could you please expand the comment so that it.

2. It's also not clear what the %s below means:

#. TRANSLATORS: this is a new realtime task
#: ../src/gpm-statistics.c:932
#, c-format
msgid "New task %s"

#. TRANSLATORS: activity on the USB bus
#: ../src/gpm-statistics.c:947
#, c-format
msgid "USB activity %s"

#. TRANSLATORS: we've timed out of an aligned timer
#: ../src/gpm-statistics.c:950
#, c-format
msgid "Wakeup %s"

A very good example of an explanation of the %s is here:
#. TRANSLATORS: % is a timestring, e.g. "6 hours 10 minutes"
#: ../src/gpm-tray-icon.c:285
msgid "%s remaining"

3. Please provide a sample of this messages expanded.
>From the first comment I'd say that the first %s is "Laptop battery",
"Tablet", etc.
>From the second I'd think there must be a percentage somewhere in the
string, but I don't know where and how.

#. TRANSLATORS: a phone is charging
#. TRANSLATORS: device is charging, but we only have a percentage
#: ../src/gpm-upower.c:249 ../src/gpm-upower.c:321
#, c-format
msgid "%s charging"

4. What are the two %s bellow?
#. TRANSLATORS: device is charging, and we have a time to full and a percentage
#: ../src/gpm-upower.c:301 ../src/gpm-upower.c:315
msgid "%s %s until charged"

I was impressed by the amount of comments for translators in your
application. Thank you for those.
I think that it would be best if you'd revise them to include samples
or explanations for each %s in the string as they are not always
obvious or easily deductible from the current comments.

Thank you for your comments.
--
 .
..: Lucian