Re: [gpm] translatable strings with unclear meaning

On 4 August 2010 18:36, Lucian Adrian Grijincu
<lucian grijincu gmail com> wrote:
> 1. Could you explain what the %s's mean? Are both used to tell the
> time? Is one of them the name of a device?
> "%s %s remaining"

Where is that string? they should all have translator comments, but
it's likely a couple slipped through the net. I would say from memory,
that's probably "Laptop battery 35 minutes remaining".

> 2. Translators: This is %2i minutes %02i seconds
> "%2im%02i"
>
> I see there's no 's' for seconds at the end of the string. Is there
> something like that printed in the program? Should the translations
> add a 's' if appropriate in that language?

Yes, please.

> 3. What is the %s in
> "%s of UPS backup power remaining (%.0f%%)"
>
> Is it the time? Like "1 hour", "2 hours 3 minutes".

Yes.

> In Romanian the
> verb's number must match the number of the subject. In Romanian if the
> first component of the time is singular (e.g. 1h23m43s, 1m32s, 1s) the
> verb is singular, else plural. How can this be coded into the
> application?

I'm not sure, sorry.