Re: [gpm] Compiling my own build of gnome-power-manager

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 14:55 -0400, Jacob Rau wrote:
> I would like to work out some of the kinks gnome-power-manager has with
> handling brightness settings on my Dell Latitude D520.
>
> I just want to make sure I am not going to nuke my Ubuntu installation
> by make install'ing my homebrew version over top of the Ubuntu version
> that's pre-installed. Does anyone here have experience in this field? I
> am pretty new at this, and know that I can get in trouble make
> install'ing instead of using the package manager.
>
> Any guidance or words of wisdom would be amazing.

Probably the easiest way is to build your own Ubuntu packages.  It's
really rather easy as you can grab the current GPM packages, and adjust
them to do what you'd like.  Here's an example:

  $ apt-get source gnome-power-manager
  $ cd gnome-power-manager-2.26.0
  $ vi myfile.c
  $ dch -i
  $ debuild

The "dch" command will open the changelog and increment the version.
It's not required directly for changing things on your own system, but
it's easier to revert if everything has different versions.

I'd recommend hanging out in #ubuntu-motu as they can help you with the
packaging details here if you have questions.  Also #ubuntu-desktop can
be helpful as well.  Both of those channels are on Freenode.

	Good luck,
		Ted