[gpm] Compiling my own build of gnome-power-manager

Hello,

I would like to work out some of the kinks gnome-power-manager has with
handling brightness settings on my Dell Latitude D520.

I just want to make sure I am not going to nuke my Ubuntu installation
by make install'ing my homebrew version over top of the Ubuntu version
that's pre-installed. Does anyone here have experience in this field? I
am pretty new at this, and know that I can get in trouble make
install'ing instead of using the package manager.

Any guidance or words of wisdom would be amazing.

Jacob Rau