[gpm] Battery life display and Screen brightness in Gnome Power Manager

Hello there!

Relative newbie with a couple of questions, if someone has a spare
minute.

First question:  When I was using Ubuntu 6.06 and my laptop (Acer
Travelmate 4101LMi) was running on battery power the GPM battery
indicator gave "sensible" readings for battery percentage left and time
to last, which changed when I did things like turn off wireless or dim
the screen.  However, I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 6.10 and the battery
indicator now goes straight to "66% battery life" as soon as the machine
boots up, then after a while drops to "33%" then to zero.

Second question: in the screenshots for GPM there is a screen brightness
slider in the Preferences dialogs. I don't have this. In the FAQ it
mentions this as happening with an IBM laptop but do I need to do
something similar? Ubuntu 6.10 has the 2.6.17 kernel, I think.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance,

Damian