[gpm] unexpected shutdown

Hi,

I'm linux newbie, so please forgive me if I'm bugging you with
irrelevant questions.

I have HP Pavillion dv6152eu AMD 64 x2 notebook and it just cuts of
power when the battery is too low. I can check the state of the battery
any time on my desktop using Power Manager icon on desktop. I'm running
Fedora Core 6 & Gnome and at the moment I'm able to boot only with
NOAPIC option on.

Is there any way to make system to give a warning and/or to suspend,
hibernate when the battery is low (5-3%)?
Is there any settings that I can use to change power consumption of the
machine when I'm running it on battery (i.e CPU heat/speed/fan).
The Power Manager on my  laptop does adjust screen brightness, when I
take of AC supply.
I tried googling on subject, but wasn't lucky enough. Please let me know
if there's any online sources on this matter.

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Farhad