Re: [gpm] Suspending laptop as user

Richard Hughes wrote:
>This sounds like a permissions issue. What distro are you running?
>What's the relevant output from:
>
>killall gnome-power-manager
>gnome-power-manager --verbose --no-daemon
>
>You might want to look at the suspend failed message.
>
>Also, as a user (rather than root) can you try:
>
>dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
>/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer \
>org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.Suspend \
>int32:0

[sorry to start a new disconnected thread - I accidentally deleted the message
and had to retrieve it from the archive!]

I am using Slackware 11.0.  Of course that does not come with precompiled
versions of dbus, dbud-glib or hal (or for that matter GNOME) and I compiled
them myself.

Restarting gnome-power-manager with verbose output appear to show everything
is fine except that when I attempt to suspend as user it reports:

 [libnotify_event] gpm-tray-icon.c:809 (11:49:07):        libnotify: Power
 Manager : Your computer failed to suspend.
 Check the <a href="http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/Faq";>FAQ page</a>
 for common problems.

Doing:
 dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
 /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer \
 org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.Suspend \
 int32:0

gives this message:

 Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: A security policy in place
 prevents this sender from sending this message to this
 recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had
 interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"
 member "Suspend" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")

So it is a permissions issue with dbus by the looks of it.  Is there a
recommended way of addressing this?  I have made myself a member of the
messagebus and haldaemon groups, but that hasn't made any difference.

Sorry I am a neophyte with dbus: presumably the problem is somewhere
in /etc/dbus-1/system.conf?

Chris