Re: [gpm] Suspending laptop as user

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 11:53 +0100, Chris Vine wrote:
> I am using Slackware 11.0.  Of course that does not come with precompiled
> versions of dbus, dbud-glib or hal (or for that matter GNOME) and I compiled
> them myself.
>
> Restarting gnome-power-manager with verbose output appear to show everything
> is fine except that when I attempt to suspend as user it reports:
>
>  [libnotify_event] gpm-tray-icon.c:809 (11:49:07):        libnotify: Power
>  Manager : Your computer failed to suspend.
>  Check the <a href="http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/Faq";>FAQ page</a>
>  for common problems.
>
> Doing:
>  dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
>  /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer \
>  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.Suspend \
>  int32:0
>
> gives this message:
>
>  Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: A security policy in place
>  prevents this sender from sending this message to this
>  recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had
>  interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement"
>  member "Suspend" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")

That's the money shot. :-)

> So it is a permissions issue with dbus by the looks of it.  Is there a
> recommended way of addressing this?  I have made myself a member of the
> messagebus and haldaemon groups, but that hasn't made any difference.

It looks like slackware (or you :-) haven't installed the at_console
modification to dbus. I think ubuntu and redhat do this slightly
different ways, and I'm not sure what is upstream.

> Sorry I am a neophyte with dbus: presumably the problem is somewhere
> in /etc/dbus-1/system.conf?

Not such a neophyte. Have a look at /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf and
change the at_console="true" line to user="username_of_you". Then
restart dbus.

Then you should be good to go.