Re: [gpm] Suspending laptop as user

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 02:18 +0100, Chris Vine wrote:
> I use gnome-2.16.1, with gnome-power-manager-2.16.1, dbus-0.93,
> dbus-glib-0.71, hal-0.5.8.1 and libnotify-0.4.3 with a vanilla linux 2.6.18
> kernel.  hal is compiled with the policy kit disabled (so it should accept
> anything from anyone).  The kernel is configured to allow acpi sleep.
>
> The kernel suspend is working fine, as I can suspend my laptop as root with
> echo -n mem > /sys/power/state, and if I am logged into GNOME as root I can
> also suspend the laptop successfully via gnome-power-manager.  However,
> gnome-power-manager fails to suspend if I am logged in as an ordinary user.
> (As user, I have to su root in a terminal and write directly
> to /sys/power/state in order to suspend.)
>
> This seems to be a permissions issue.  I know very little about configuring
> dbus, hal or gnome-power-manager.  Is there a way in which I can configure
> all or any of them to allow a user to suspend via gnome-power-manager?

This sounds like a permissions issue. What distro are you running?
What's the relevant output from:

killall gnome-power-manager
gnome-power-manager --verbose --no-daemon

You might want to look at the suspend failed message.

Also, as a user (rather than root) can you try:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer \
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.Suspend \
int32:0

As this might help debug the problem.

Thanks,