Re: [gpm] GPM-2.14 - Whereis the HardWare Info Tab?

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 21:40 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 13:13 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 17:35 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > > I have xscreensaver. Why does it call gnome-screensaver? or rather, why
> > > does it call the screensaver? Shouldn't it just be "blank screen"?
> >
> > Yes, gnome-screensaver is required for this to work. Lots of information
> > in the FAQ.
>
> in the FAQ Entry
> [FAQ]
> Why doesn't DPMS work when I've enabled it in XScreenSaver?
> It's enabled for xscreensaver, not gnome-screensaver. XSS is the legacy
> system that will be replaced with gnome-screensaver very soon. You
> probably need to install this package, and then g-p-m will automatically
> work with gnome-screensaver to use the DPMS settings of your monitor.
> [/FAQ]
>
> I've got to ask, why can't it use the Xorg's Xset program w/ DPMS to
> blank the screen?
> gg: '/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -display :0 dpms force off'
>
> Would a patch be welcomed? (just asking, before I go ahead and look at
> the code)

No, g-p-m should be using the new dbus interface provided by
gnome-screensaver only. You open up a whole hornets nest of problems if
you start poking around with xset.

> (my moving towards patching it is still low since I get that from my
> current acpid implementation; which I'm pretty fond of now)

You're more than welcome to patch g-p-m however you like -- but upstream
will only use dbus interfaces.
If you don't use gnomescreensaver you don't get the session being marked
as idle... so the sort answer is you *need* g-s for g-p-m to function
correctly.

> > > Attached is a patch to the gpm man page. Please comment/approve.
> >
> > Yes, good to commit, thanks. I guess you've got gnome commit, if not I
> > can do it for you.
>
> Nope.  I don't have commit access. Please commit if possible.

Will do, thanks.