Re: [gpm] critical shutdown to low & not adjustable

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 10:14 +0100, Ralf M�r wrote:
> IMO for the normal user who knows nothing about gconf these values may
> be a problem if the laptop's battery is getting older. Why not setting
> this to 3% and the others according to that a little bit higher.
>
> low             = 12%
> very low        = 8%
> critical        = 5%
> critical action = 3%

For some people, critical at 3% would be about 15 minutes!

> I'm not waiting for 3% to appear, I'm charging at about 10% because I
> read something about not to go to the bitter end. The LION gets hurt on
> this.
> Yes, I know and this is not an invitation on discussing battery handling
> of different people, just my subjective 2ct ;-)
>
> > key:battery_low_remaining_time
> > default:1200
> > desc:The time remaining when low
> > ldesc:The time remaining in seconds of the battery when it is considered
> > low
> >
> > key:battery_very_low_remaining_time
> > default:600
> >
> > key:battery_critical_remaining_time
> > default:300
> >
> > key:battery_action_remaining_time
> > default:120
> >
> > key:laptop_panel_dim_brightness
> > default:30
> > desc:The brightness of the screen when session idle
> > ldesc:This is the laptop panel screen brightness when the session is
> > idle
> >
> > Any better ideas or wording replacements?
>
> There should be only one Option to set, the percentage or the time.

Nada, because if you change:

/apps/gnome-power-manager/use_time_for_policy

to true, then the per-time policy kicks in and uses the new values. If
you set it to false, then it uses the old percentage based system.

> Both things might confuse because they have to match.
> I don't know the time left on 5%. I have to wait for GPM to display
> this ;-)
> OK I know where I have to look for the values and I may be able to
> calculate the remaining time on specific charge values but....

Depends if you want a per-time or a per-percentage based system. I might
write this up in a FAQ entry if this is unclear.