Re: [gpm] Configuring what happens when "hibernate" should be done

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 21:44 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Alexander Skwar schrieb:
>
> > Or is there any other way?

Okay, apologies for not replying sooner, I've had one hell of a week...

There is are a lot of correct answers for doing this.
This is my personal opinion if you want to do something special on
suspend or hibernate:

1. bodge answer: Edit the hal-system-power-suspend and add your custom
stuff there (my personal favourite)
2. techy answer: Add a new file in the scripts directory and change the
script name in the fdi file (only if you are comfortable doing XML type
stuff)
3. idealist answer: use pm-utils*

* the new pm-utils is not in any distro yet, and has had no tarball
release yet. I package a CVS snap in my repo, and it does nice things
with video resuming and suspending. I don't think we should be
recommending this to users until we have had a tarball release and some
of the distros (debian, ubuntu, etc) are packaged this.
pm-utils also needs some serious work to make it work in a good way for
other distros, which I would like some developers to try and compile and
run pm-utils and feedback some suggestions.
I would like to grab some more goodness from the ubuntu pmi to make most
stuff just work, but we need some people to test it, debug it and add
new stuff as required.

I think pm-utils is definatly the way forward (it's some clever shit),
but it does need other distros to support the idea and send some
patches.

But that's just my opinion.