Re: [gpm] How to allow non-root users to suspend laptop?

On 6/30/06, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 23:21 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:

The non-root issue was the removal of console-helper from pm-utils as it
was agreed that non-root stuff should use a dbus method (thus allowing
us to use PolicyKit or dbus lockdown).

> Can you tell me if there is a configuration change that will allow
> ordinary users to suspend?

Yes. Try this:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer \
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.Suspend \
int32:0

Oh! You kicked me in the pants agan.  The old suspend your computer by
accident trick. I fall for it every time!

Seriously, I was asking for a configuration change. What is supposed
to happen in an ordinary laptop?  I can't get suspend to work either
from the gnome system menu or the G-P-M pulldown.

This is a neat command, though, but if I want to shut down as a
nonroot user, this is not very convenient.  It is less typing to "su
-" and "pm-suspend".  But you knew that.

or use something like g-p-m that provides a per-session Suspend() method... :-)

I do currently use g-p-m from utopia and suspends fail.  You told me a
couple of weeks ago that it was because of the permissions change.
All g-p-m says is "suspend failed".

I've never started X as root to find out what happens for him. Or is
it her?  I assume you are not running as root, so how does the
ordinary user suspend?

Hope that helps,

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science