Re: Advice for moving to a larger hard drive

Thanks to both for your replies.

I did just that this morning, it was amazingly easy and trouble-free.

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 15:12 -0400, Jonathan-Marc Lapointe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You could only export your Evolution data using the export tools and
> then import this backup to your new install.
>
> To do this, go to "File" then click on "Archive parameters".
>
> This will create a tgz file with everything in it. Settings as well as
> data that you will be able to import in the new install using "File",
> "Restore Settings".
>
> Gxis!

Yes, I know this feature in Evolution. It is convenient, though I
suspect it does nothing more than transferring the /.evolution folder
(but in compressed form).

[...]

> > As long as you migrate Evolution properly (I'd be tempted just to copy
> > your entire home directory :) you should be able to copy
> > ~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d plus any gnome-pilot backup directories and be
> > in business.  Are there any Evolution guides to migrating?

Well from Evolution to itself I only see the way J.-M. Lapointe has
described (or manual copying of the /.evolution).

At the time I migrated _to_ Evolution, I had found lots of howtos about
migrating, but much less about migrating _from_  Evolution (which I
don't plan to do).

> > If you migrated by doing something like exporting your addresses to vcal
> > and then importing them into your new install, you'd lose the meta
> > information that binds an evolution ID to a palm ID.  This would
> > probably leave you with duplicate entries.  Of course, you could do a
> > one-time 'copy from PDA' or 'copy to PDA' but that probably wouldn't be
> > loss-free.

That happened to me when I migrated to Linux. I had found best to completely erase the Palm...

BTW, the reason why I moved was not only a space issue. I suspected
problems with my previous drive (a rather low-end SSD). I encountered a
little too frequent freezes. Thus I don't particularly plan to reuse it.
I'll investigate this on another forum.

Thanks again - best regards,