Re: Advice for moving to a larger hard drive

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 17:26 +0100, Daniel CLEMENT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am moving my system (Linux Ubuntu Hardy) to a larger hard drive. The
> machine (hence its network name) remains the same.
>
> I sure could erase everything on the Palm and start from scratch...
>
> But I'd like to avoid this if possible: is it safe, e.g., to
> - backup evolution and restore to new drive;
> - simply copy my other (than ~/.evolution) hidden folders to the
> new /home, especially the ~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d?
>
> Is this the proper thing to do?

As long as you migrate Evolution properly (I'd be tempted just to copy
your entire home directory :) you should be able to copy
~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d plus any gnome-pilot backup directories and be
in business.  Are there any Evolution guides to migrating?

If you migrated by doing something like exporting your addresses to vcal
and then importing them into your new install, you'd lose the meta
information that binds an evolution ID to a palm ID.  This would
probably leave you with duplicate entries.  Of course, you could do a
one-time 'copy from PDA' or 'copy to PDA' but that probably wouldn't be
loss-free.

Another option I've used in the past is to install your old disk on your
new system, and use it to provide the home directory.  Just mount /home
from your old disk into your new filesystem.  As long as you have Hardy
up-to-date on old and new systems, it should work out pretty well (don't
quote me!).

Matt

Matt Davey		What do you get the man who has everything?
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 		A good shot of penecillin.