Re: Palm Life Drive and Evolution Pilot

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 10:45 +0100, Matt Davey wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 10:38 +1000, Andrew Greig wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My struggle to get a Palm Life Drive working under libusb has been going
> > on for over a year.  I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have
> > to continue to work with visor because even if it is slower it works for
> > me.
> >
> > The problem now is to figure out why gnome-pilot will not sync with the
> > Palm Life Drive, when Jpilot and Pilot-xfer both work under visor.
>
> One workaround, just to get things going, is to configure network
> hotsync.  This should avoid the various known problems with the
> lifedrive and usb syncing.
>
> It's certainly frustrating if it works under pilot-link and jpilot but
> not gnome-pilot.  There was a time when new kernel/udev revisions would
> break some systems and repair others -- I'm guessing it's down to
> timing, but without a device to test, it's hard to fix.  What I could
> imagine would be some tunable parameter in gnome-pilot where you could
> control the delay between device detection and attempting to sync.
>
> In terms of debugging, the usual thing is to run gpilotd in a console
> and see what messages show up.  Does it attempt a connection, or does it
> never realise a device is trying to sync?  One possible thing to try
> would be to run gpilotd in a console, press 'control-z' to suspend it,
> press hotsync on your lifedrive, and then 'fg' to continue gpilotd.  If
> gpilotd is trying to sync 'too soon' after the sync is started this
> might just work.  If so, it would be new information...
>
> If there is anyone out there successfully syncing gnome-pilot with a
> lifedrive, speak up!
>
> Matt
>
> Matt Davey		You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?
> mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 		  -- Steve Wright

Thanks Matt,

Concerning having a device to work with, Palm have a generous offer:
they will lend you a Palm device for up to 60 days if you join (free)
the Palm Developer Network.
https://pdnet.palm.com/wps/portal/pdnet/DEVICE_LOANER_OVERVIEW

Re starting in a console, here is the output:

[andrew andrew ~]$ /usr/lib/gpilotd
gpilotd-Message: gnome-pilot 2.0.16 starting...
gpilotd-Message: compiled for pilot-link version 0.12.3
gpilotd-Message: compiled with [VFS] [USB] [IrDA] [Network] [Bluetooth]

(gpilotd:9220): gpilotd-WARNING **: Number of devices is configured to 0

(gpilotd:9220): gpilotd-WARNING **: No accessible devices available

(gpilotd:9220): gpilotd-WARNING **: Number of PDAs is configured to 0
gpilotd-Message: Activating CORBA server
gpilotd-Message: bonobo_activation_active_server_register = 0
gpilotd-Message: Found 4766, 0001
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0502, 0736
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 091e, 0004
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 115e, f100
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 082d, 0100
gpilotd-Message: Using net FALSE
gpilotd-Message: Found 082d, 0200
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 082d, 0300
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0c88, 0021
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0830, 0001
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0830, 0002
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0830, 0003
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0830, 0020
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0830, 0031
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0830, 0040
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0830, 0050
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0830, 0060
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0830, 0061
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0830, 0070
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 0830, 0080
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 04e8, 8001
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 04e8, 6601
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 054c, 0038
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 054c, 0066
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 054c, 0095
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 054c, 009a
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 054c, 00c9
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 054c, 00da
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 054c, 00e9
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 054c, 0144
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 054c, 0169
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE
gpilotd-Message: Found 12ef, 0100
gpilotd-Message: Using net TRUE

(gpilotd:9220): gpilotd-WARNING **: Could not get usb vendor ID from
hal: No pro
perty usb_device.vendor_id on device with
id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_de
vice_ffffffff_ffffffff_noserial_serial_usb_0

(gpilotd:9220): gpilotd-WARNING **: Could not get usb vendor ID from
hal: No pro
perty usb_device.vendor_id on device with
id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_de
vice_ffffffff_ffffffff_noserial_serial_usb_1

This is interesting as this shows:

[root andrew andrew]# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0a5c:2021 Broadcom Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c03d Logitech, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04b8:0005 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus Printer
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0830:0061 Palm, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
[root andrew andrew]#
 and this is "at rest" ie before hotsync.

Is there somewhere I can add info on the device for hal to find?

Thanks

Andrew Greig