Re: Palm Life Drive and Evolution Pilot

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 10:38 +1000, Andrew Greig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My struggle to get a Palm Life Drive working under libusb has been going
> on for over a year.  I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have
> to continue to work with visor because even if it is slower it works for
> me.
>
> The problem now is to figure out why gnome-pilot will not sync with the
> Palm Life Drive, when Jpilot and Pilot-xfer both work under visor.

One workaround, just to get things going, is to configure network
hotsync.  This should avoid the various known problems with the
lifedrive and usb syncing.

It's certainly frustrating if it works under pilot-link and jpilot but
not gnome-pilot.  There was a time when new kernel/udev revisions would
break some systems and repair others -- I'm guessing it's down to
timing, but without a device to test, it's hard to fix.  What I could
imagine would be some tunable parameter in gnome-pilot where you could
control the delay between device detection and attempting to sync.

In terms of debugging, the usual thing is to run gpilotd in a console
and see what messages show up.  Does it attempt a connection, or does it
never realise a device is trying to sync?  One possible thing to try
would be to run gpilotd in a console, press 'control-z' to suspend it,
press hotsync on your lifedrive, and then 'fg' to continue gpilotd.  If
gpilotd is trying to sync 'too soon' after the sync is started this
might just work.  If so, it would be new information...

If there is anyone out there successfully syncing gnome-pilot with a
lifedrive, speak up!

Matt

Matt Davey		You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 		  -- Steve Wright