Re: Pilot synch issues

> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:32:07 +0200
> From: Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
> Subject: Re: Pilot synch issues
> To: "The PalmOS&lt; tm&gt;  integration pacakge"
> 	<gnome-pilot-list gnome org>
>
> Le mardi 11 septembre 2007 ? 08:55 +1000, Andrew Greig a ?crit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have now installed Mandriva 2007 PWP on a spare hard disk. Clean
> > install - no dual boot, no errors reported. Installed evolution-pilot
> > via urpmi (Disk 4) and set up Synchronisation options as usb(Radio
> > button) usb: and a speed of 57600.  No synch and connection timed out.
>
> I don't see the point in testing with 2007.0, anyway. And also make sure
> you have the latest kernel available as update for 2007.0.

It just seemed the quickest way to get a clean slate. And no worries
about data loss as it was not my main drive.
> > Some other observations: When I switch my Palm LifeDrive to Drive Mode,
> > it gets picked up in 2007 and I am offered the opportunity to open a
> > browser window to view the contents of the drive (it emulates a thumb
> > drive).  This does not happen in 2007.1 (In 2007.1 I need to mount it as
> > sda1 manually).  Also my camera is picked up in 2007 but not this way in
> > 2007.1, although Digikam still finds it.
>
> This is irrelevant to your initial problem. You should focus on one
> problem at a time.

This was included to indicate that there may have been a problem in the
usb side. A similar thing happened between Mandrake 8.2 and 9.0.
> > I have had assurances that the libusb system works straight out of the
> > box from Mandriva 2007 on. This is not my experience.
>
> And it should also work in 2007.1.
>
> > I put my user number in the uucp group.  Still no good.
>
> There is no need to do so. You should revert that.
Done

> > What now, please?
>
> How about running pilot-xfer -p usb: -l while logged as a user (while
> making sure gpilotd is not running) and try to run sync on your Palm and
> see what pilot-xfer says ?
bash-3.1$ pilot-xfer -p usb: -l

   Listening for incoming connection on usb:...

No response to hot synch button.

Although lsusb showed:

[root andrew andrew]# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 011: ID 0830:0061 Palm, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c03d Logitech, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I checked my cable and also tried with a new synch cable in case there
was a physical fault. And synch does work fine on either cable on the
dark side of the machine(XP).

> And it would be great if you could reply to your emails when you post a
> follow-up, so threading is kept.
I apologise for that.  When I was working in the 2007 drive I had no access to the thread, but it seemed there was much to cut and paste from the console.
I will confine myself to replies from this drive (2007.1) from now on.

Many thanks

Andrew Greig