Re: Syncing photos

----- Original Message -----
From: Matt Davey
Time: 01-10-07 13:13
> On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 18:28 -0400, Evan wrote:
>> I've just joined this list, so please forgive me if there is a
>> specific protocol for suggesting new features,

> discussion.
>
>> but I have something I think should be added (and as far as I know it
>> won't take much work). While dragging files to the applet works if
>> they are prc or pdb files, the most recent generation of palm pilots
>> also include a photo viewer. When installing a file other that a prc
>> or pdb, it doesn't work.
>>
>> Currently the only way to add a photo to a palm is to use the utility
>> here: http://djw.org/product/palm/par/index.html
>> As described in the article here: http://www.pilot-link.org/node/225
>
> Hmm.  I haven't tried installing JPEGs onto a palm, but I'd presumed
> that, at least for recent devices, the best thing to do was just to copy
> the JPEGs directly onto removable media (are there any recent devices
> that don't support removable media?).

The z22 does not support removable media, and is still sold.

Apart from that, I don't know whether the address book app can read
photos if they are not in the pdb format? I have a z22 so I can't test
it, but for me the only way to get a photo in the address book was with
the par tool.

This is also something I was thinking about when I was working on the
syncing of the address book with evolution for the os5 database
structure. If contact pictures must be synchronized, I think the par
tool need to be implemented in gpilot.

> This approach should work for any sort of files, not just images,
> whereas wrapping a 'dropped' file in a .pdb file would be inappropriate
> for some files (e.g. a text file should probably be installed as a doc
> pdb file, and a html file should be installed as-is or converted a la
> plucker or something like that.  It becomes pretty complex, pretty
> quickly.)
>
> I mentioned in a previous post that we could consider support for
> installing files onto removable media at sync time, but the usability
> challenge is specifying the destination folder at the 'drag and drop'
> time.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Matt

Regards,