Re: Syncing photos

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 18:28 -0400, Evan wrote:
> I've just joined this list, so please forgive me if there is a
> specific protocol for suggesting new features,

discussion.

> but I have something I think should be added (and as far as I know it
> won't take much work). While dragging files to the applet works if
> they are prc or pdb files, the most recent generation of palm pilots
> also include a photo viewer. When installing a file other that a prc
> or pdb, it doesn't work.
>
> Currently the only way to add a photo to a palm is to use the utility
> here: http://djw.org/product/palm/par/index.html
> As described in the article here: http://www.pilot-link.org/node/225

Hmm.  I haven't tried installing JPEGs onto a palm, but I'd presumed
that, at least for recent devices, the best thing to do was just to copy
the JPEGs directly onto removable media (are there any recent devices
that don't support removable media?).

This approach should work for any sort of files, not just images,
whereas wrapping a 'dropped' file in a .pdb file would be inappropriate
for some files (e.g. a text file should probably be installed as a doc
pdb file, and a html file should be installed as-is or converted a la
plucker or something like that.  It becomes pretty complex, pretty
quickly.)

I mentioned in a previous post that we could consider support for
installing files onto removable media at sync time, but the usability
challenge is specifying the destination folder at the 'drag and drop'
time.

Thoughts?

Matt

Matt Davey        A hero is someone who can keep his mouth shut
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 	when he is right.  Yiddish Proverb.