Re: HotSync shows two settings dialogs, doesn't sync

Matt Davey wrote:
1. Can you use 'pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -l' to list the files
   on your device?  This will verify that the kernel/usb/pilot-link
   part of the system is functioning properly.

Yes, this works fine provided that the "/dev/ttyUSB0" file already exists when I run the command. So in reality what I did was:

	1. Press HotSync.
	2. Cancel the two settings dialogs which appear.
	3. Run "pilot-xfer ..."

Running pilot-xfer before pressing HotSync yields an "Unable to bind to port" message. I thought pilot-xfer used to be able to wait for a missing device file to appear. Or am I mistaken? In any case, that's not the main issue we're looking at here.

2. Try disabling HAL and restart gpilotd:

If I leave gpilotd-applet in my panel, it tries to restart gpilotd automatically. So I stopped HAL, killed gpilotd, observed that a new gpilotd process had already been started, then restarted HAL. I still got the two settings dialogs and no sync as originally reported.

Next I tried removing gpilotd-applet. I then stopped HAL (as root), killed gpilotd (as me), restarted gpilotd (as me), and restarted HAL (as root). I then started to work through the gnome-pilot initial setup druid. When I reached the "Initial Sync" step I pressed HotSync. I still got two settings dialogs as before. However, this time the settings druid successfully read my user name and ID and moved on to the next step after "Initial Sync".

I now pressed HotSync a second time and finally got a sync. Yay! Each time I press HotSync now, a sync is performed. Yay again! However, I *also* still get the two settings dialogs appearing each time. Boo!

If I put gpilot-applet back in the panel, I can see a progress dialog during sync. But this has no affect on the two settings dialogs, which still appear each time I press HotSync.

For the sake of completeness I tried killing and restarting gpilotd again, this time with HAL already running. Situation remains as before: sync happens, but two extra settings dialogs appear as well.

I guess this is some kind of progress. gnome-pilot now knows about my device and I can perform syncs. But the two superfluous settings dialogs on each HotSync are still somewhat bothersome.