Re: HotSync shows two settings dialogs, doesn't sync

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 17:41 -0500, Ben Liblit wrote:
> I am using gnome-pilot-2.0.15 and pilot-link-0.12.1, both on a Fedora 7
> box.  The gnome-pilot applet is running in the panel.  When I press the
> HotSync button on my Tungsten T's cradle, the PDA starts trying to
> connect, but my host just pops up *two* "gnome-pilot Settings" dialogs
> instead of starting a sync.
>
> I tried completely blowing away my gnome-pilot configuration under
> "~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d" and starting from scratch.  The gnome-pilot
> setup druid proceeds as far as "Initial Sync", where it asks me to
> "Please put PDA in Cradle (/dev/tty/USB0) and press HotSync button."  If
> I press the HotSync button, *two* "gnome-pilot Settings" dialogs pop up
> as before.  The druid does not read the PDA's owner name and ID and does
> not move to the next step.
>
> The cradle uses USB, and I can see that /dev/tty/USB[01] are created
> when I press HotSync.  I am in the uucp group and have permission to
> read these files.  I've tried using both /dev/tty/USB0 and /dev/tty/USB1
> as the cradle device file, but both give the same behavior I described
> above.  Reducing the speed to a modest 19200 also made no difference.
>
> I'm stumped.  Any suggestions?

There have been occasional reports of 'multiple gnome-pilot-settings
windows' appearing for several years.  I've never been able to reproduce
it, unfortunately, and there seems to have been an increase recently.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution.  Maybe someone else will
contribute?

Two things just about worth trying:
1. Can you use 'pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -l' to list the files
   on your device?  This will verify that the kernel/usb/pilot-link
   part of the system is functioning properly.
2. Try disabling HAL and restart gpilotd:
   a. /etc/init.d/haldaemon stop
   b. killall gpilotd; /usr/libexec/gpilotd
   c. /etc/init.d/haldaemon start
   d. now try configuring your device as per usual.
   Some of the above paths mightn't match your system.  Adjust as
   necessary.  Disabling HAL on gpilotd startup changes the way
   gnome-pilot detects USB devices, and may just possibly
   make a difference for you.

Matt