HotSync shows two settings dialogs, doesn't sync

I am using gnome-pilot-2.0.15 and pilot-link-0.12.1, both on a Fedora 7 box. The gnome-pilot applet is running in the panel. When I press the HotSync button on my Tungsten T's cradle, the PDA starts trying to connect, but my host just pops up *two* "gnome-pilot Settings" dialogs instead of starting a sync.

I tried completely blowing away my gnome-pilot configuration under "~/.gnome2/gnome-pilot.d" and starting from scratch. The gnome-pilot setup druid proceeds as far as "Initial Sync", where it asks me to "Please put PDA in Cradle (/dev/tty/USB0) and press HotSync button." If I press the HotSync button, *two* "gnome-pilot Settings" dialogs pop up as before. The druid does not read the PDA's owner name and ID and does not move to the next step.

The cradle uses USB, and I can see that /dev/tty/USB[01] are created when I press HotSync. I am in the uucp group and have permission to read these files. I've tried using both /dev/tty/USB0 and /dev/tty/USB1 as the cradle device file, but both give the same behavior I described above. Reducing the speed to a modest 19200 also made no difference.

I'm stumped.  Any suggestions?