Re: Calendar conduit not loading?

--- Andrew Ziem <andrewz springsrescuemission org> wrote:

> This is my first time trying Palm syncing, and it's not working.  I have
> the Pilot Applet loaded.  When I press the hotsync button, the applet
> responds and briefly shows a dialog with a wildly racing progress bar,
> but Evolution never see's the Palm 700's calendar.
>
> My guess is that the calendar conduit is not loading, but how can I
> tell?  In Evolution->Synchronization Options->Conduits, I see Expense,
> MAL, MemoFile, Sendmail, and Time.  I do not see calendar.

If the Evolution conduits are loaded, you'll see EAddress, ECalendar, EMemos, and ETasks. If you
do not have these listed, then you haven't installed the conduits properly. The conduits must be
installed in /usr/share/gnome-pilot/conduits (or wherever gnome-pilot is installed on your
system). The file names are e-address-2.8.conduit, e-calendar-2.8.conduits, etc. (or 2.6 if you're
using Evo 2.6). These files tell gnome-pilot where the conduit libraries are.

> Fedora Core 5 ships gnome-pilot 2.0.13 which doesn't support network
> sync (which we require for our terminals), so I built gnome-pilot
> 2.0.14.  Then, I noticed that Evolution provides the Gnome Pilot
> conduits, so I rebuilt it and EDS.

You wouldn't need to rebuild EDS - it has nothing to do with the conduits. Instead, rebuilding
evolution with the --enable-pilot-conduits should create the evo-specific gnome-pilot conduits. If
you did this and the conduits are not installed, send the config.log file created by the the build
to the list (or post it to some website). Note that if the root of Evolution and gnome-pilot are
not the same, the Evolution conduits will be not be installed in the correct place.

> So, the pieces are:
> - Fedora Core 5
> - evolution-2.6.3-1.fc5.5
> - evolution-data-server-1.6.3-1.fc5.2
> - gnome-pilot-2.0.14-1.fc5
> - pilot-link-0.11.8-12.4.fc5 on server
> - pilot-link 0.11.8 on LTSP terminal
> - Palm Treo 700
>
> JPilot and pilot-link work fine (but they don't sync Evolution, of
> course).  I noticed these two sync much more slowly than Gnome Pilot, so
> I think Gnome Pilot is not transferring as much data.

I don't think your problems lies with the pacakges, despite the weird things Fedora does. I think
that if you recompile Evolution itself and make sure the gnome-pilot conduits are being built.

Hope this helps,
Nathan Owens

P.S. If you get the Treo 700 working, let me know - I'm in the market for a 650 or 700, but don't
know how well it's supported under pilot-link and gnome-pilot.