Re: Clean up make distclean

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 11:44 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 08:04 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>
> > ..and I'm guilty of not filing these either. I'll see what I can do. I
> > need to set aside a chunk of time and really pour through this and do
> > some aggressive testing before I file these as "current" bugs.
>
> Lucky me.. I just found a large section of g-p that needs updating to
> remain current with pilot-link 0.12's API (using gp from CVS, not the
> release pre tarballs).

Sounds interesting!

> I'll pick through it and start cooking up patches. I was trying to fix
> the disclean issue, but distcheck dies deep in
> gnome-pilot-conduit-standard-abs because of the deprecated API and some
> invalid buffer constructs.

cool.  It's not a part of the code I've looked at much, beyond noting
'gnome_pilot_compat_with_pilot_link_0_11_dlp_ReadRecordByIndex' and
friends to map from new to old pilot-link API.

> Do we really need to retain backward compatibility here?

Yes, IMHO.  I can think of several advantages (flexibility, pilot-link
regression testing, being able to test new features on 0.12 before it's
released without branching the code...), and the only disadvantage is
extra code maintenance for developers.

> All of these
> #ifdefs are going to double the size of most of the source files if we
> keep them in there, because of all of the changes. I'll just rip out the
> 0.11.x bits, rip out the #ifdefs and make it work against 0.12.x and
> someone else can work on the backporting if they need it.

Since I'll probably be the backporter -- do you need to change any of
the 0.11.x bits?  Wouldn't a diff be easier to parse if the old 0.11.x
stuff (which I presume is okay) was just quickly #ifdef'ed?  So far the
backward compatibility hasn't added much bulk at all (a quick look with
unifdef revealed less than 1% of 30,000 lines of code were removed).

Thanks for this work, and I hope it isn't distracting too much from your
main pl concerns...

Matt

Matt Davey        What do you call books that aren't cooked?
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 	Rare.