Re: Call for testers! (and updated pre-release tarball)

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 13:10 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 10:10 +0100, Matt Davey wrote:
> > I only got the chance to try the HAL option myself just now.  It
> > didn't work for me out of the box.  I've queried the author.

I've bumped the pre-release to v2.  Get the updated tarball from:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mcdavey/downloads/

This fixes HAL -- we don't rely on the canned HAL pda match rules,
and instead continue to use the devices.xml file shipped with
gnome-pilot.  This seems to be more robust.  I also added in a
short sleep to avoid calling libpisock before the usbserial device is
ready.  I haven't tried using libusb yet.

>         I had to grab autogen.sh from the gnome-pilot CVS tree to re-gen
> configure and aclocal to point to the right paths. It was missing the
> GNOME_COMPILE_WARNINGS macro definition

I've added macros/compiler-flags.m4 to the gnome-pilot tarball.

> and there were some
> weird buglets with the rpath in the .la files
> in /usr/lib/gnome-pilot/conduits, which point to bogus, non-existant
> paths.

?? I'm not sure I follow, but do you mean that there were some issues
with overriding paths with ./configure switches?

>         Now I can try to test it. This took a little while to dig into
> and figure out. Quite a few little buglets in there to work out before I
> got to this point ;)

Sorry 'bout that, but thanks for the feedback.

>         NOW I can beat it up properly.

If you want to try out HAL support, I'd try grabbing the pre2 tarball,
which is up at:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mcdavey/downloads/

Regards,

Matt

Matt Davey        Many hands make light work - but
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 	Too many cooks spoil the broth.