Re: HAL support teething problems.

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 12:09 +0100, Matt Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 11:54 +0100, Matt Davey wrote:
>
> > Fedora core 5 does not appear to ship with a hal ".fdi" file for pda
> > rules.  At any rate, lshal shows my device, it's visor module status,
> > but no pda capabilities.  I haven't yet been able to create one that
> > works for me.
>
> Apologies.  fc5 does ship with
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-pda.fdi
> but its rules do not seem to be effective for me.

Update for testers: I'm attaching a very dumb .fdi file that recognises
anything using the 'visor' module as a palm pda, that appears to work on
fc5 (but then I hit the realpath_chk problem in pilot-link...).  The
shipped pda fdi also uses the presence of the 'visor' module in its
match rules.  Clearly this is not compatible with the emerging libusb
sync rules in pilot-link.

Any suggestions?  It seems to me that the 'pda' match rules shipping
with libhal are not up to the job (quite possibly due to other problems
in kernel/udev/fc5/???) and that the safe thing to do is to continue
using the devices.xml file as the canonical list of recognised palm
devices.  That way, people can get rid of visor by using the 'usb:'
pilot-link device.

Matt

Matt Davey     I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my desk.
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 		-- Robert Bloch
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">

  <!-- Pocket PC PDAs -->
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="serial">
      <match key="@serial.physical_device:info.linux.driver" string="ipaq">
	<append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">pda</append>
	<merge key="pda.platform" type="string">pocketpc</merge>
	<merge key="info.product" type="string">Pocket PC PDA</merge>
	<merge key="pda.pocketpc.hotsync_interface" type="copy_property">serial.device</merge>
      </match>
    </match>
  </device>

  <!--
    on Sony Clie 3.5 devices we need to mark port 0 instead of port 1. For
    this reason, we mark the usb interface with port number to use (FIXME: is
    there a better solution?). However, we should also do this for clies that
    have been upgraded to a later version of OS, but I'm not sure if those have
    the same product id - in that case this would not work for them. The driver
    doumentation however advertises that the information about what port should
    be used is written to syslog, perhaps we can somehow get that information
    from the driver directly?)
  -->
  <device>
      <match key="info.linux.driver" string="visor">
              <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">pda</append>
              <merge key="pda.platform" type="string">palm</merge>
      </match>
  </device>

</deviceinfo>