HAL support teething problems.

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 10:10 +0100, Matt Davey wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 20:14 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 00:55 +0100, Matt Davey wrote:
> > > We are close to getting a new release of gnome-pilot out the door.
> > > There are several new features and bugfixes.  It would be great
> > > to get some volunteers to try compiling from source and running
> > > some basic tests
> >
> > 	I'm on it! ;)
>
> Thanks, David.
> I only got the chance to try the HAL option myself just now.  It didn't
> work for me out of the box.  I've queried the author.

Fedora core 5 does not appear to ship with a hal ".fdi" file for pda
rules.  At any rate, lshal shows my device, it's visor module status,
but no pda capabilities.  I haven't yet been able to create one that
works for me.

Maybe some HAL guru can post a compatible rule set (I tried installing
one I found dating from March 2005, but it didn't work for me).  What is
the status of .fdi files and why doesn't Fedora ship with a pda one that
works?  It might be safer for us to use HAL for notification, but
continue to use the devices.xml file to identify recognised
vendor/product ID pairs rather than relying on the HAL "pda" capability.

Matt Davey		A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the
mcdavey mrao cam ac uk 	    decency to thank her.  - W.C. Fields